Many common indoor plants or outdoor plants can actually be harmful to your pet. Here is a list of 5 poisonous common plants that pet owners may not suspect and their symptoms!
1. Azalea – Although beautiful, the entire azalea plant is harmful to both cats and dogs. Ingesting just a few leaves may lead to diarrhea and vomiting, oral irritation, and could result in long-term effects such as liver failure/liver damage. We recommend extracting this toxic plant if it is already in your backyard, and avoid outdoor areas where it is present. Call your vet immediately if you suspect that they have eaten one!
2. English Ivy – This plant is known to grow extremely quickly and is used for decorating stone walls or large areas of blank space in your home. What many fail to realize is that the leaves or berries are toxic to both pets and humans if consumed. Symptoms can include a burning feeling in the mouth and throat, excessive thirst, drooling, upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Touching the plant’s sap can also induce dermatitis, though it is usually a fairly mild case. Try staying away from using this plant as decoration if you can!
3. Hydrangeas – Due to hydrangeas’ bitter aroma, pets are generally disinterested by the colorful petals. However, if your furry friend eats this plant, it can be incredibly dangerous. Hydrangeas contain a toxic compound, cyanogenic glycoside, better known as cyanide. When consumed, this dangerous plant can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and possibly depression. More severe symptoms of cyanide intoxication include seizures, breathing difficulties, an increase in heart rate, and in extreme cases, death.
4. Aloe Vera – This plant has many medicinal and therapeutic properties, such as treating burns, wounds, and internal health issues. However, aloe vera also contains a toxin called saponin, which can be harmful to pets when ingested. The most common symptoms of aloe vera poisoning are vomiting, stomach upsets, diarrhea, nausea, urine color change, and occasionally, tremors. Toxicity from saponin is generally moderate to mild, but the dehydration resulting from ingestion can be fatal.
5. Chrysanthemum – The distinguishable autumn plant, chrysanthemum, originates from East Asia but is found all across America. This delicate flower is well known for its use in Chinese medicine and has been proven to be a beneficial herbal treatment for fevers, headaches, and inflammation. Despite Chrysanthemum’s beauty, however, it is extremely harmful when ingested by animals. It contains a toxic element, pyrethrin, which is a natural insecticide used to repel pests. This compound causes vomiting, diarrhea, excessive salivation, loss of appetite, and skin irritation, which can be amplified in cats due to their extreme pyrethrin sensitivity.