Debunking Pet Health Myths

Debunking Pet Health Myths

Here are some common myths surrounding pet health that you may have heard of and the actual truth behind them!

Myth 1: It is okay for your pet to lick their wounds

Licking wounds, although oftentimes a natural instinct for pets to do, can actually be harmful to their healing process. Their saliva can contain harmful bacteria that when introduced into a wound, can slow the healing process or even cause an infection. As a conscientious pet owner, make sure that your pet wears a cone and always keep a close eye on their activity!

Myth 2: Grain-free diets are healthy and natural

Although many believe that their pets should eat like their ancestors, a raw meat diet, dogs and cats have actually evolved over time to consume diets more similar to humans. This is because of evolution and our long history of domesticating these animals. While protein should make up a majority of their diet, it is also good to make sure they get a variety of nutrients from grains and vegetables.

Myth 3: You can tell if your dog is sick if their nose is warm and dry

A dog’s nose temperature or moisture level is not necessarily indicative of sickness. Even though some illnesses can cause these symptoms, a warm or dry nose is likely a reflection of the temperature and humidity of the environment your dog is in at the time. Take it as a sign instead to place them in a more comfortable space!

Myth 4: A “dog year” is equal to 7 human years

Contrary to the common misconception that one dog year is equal to 7 human years, this myth is not supported by scientific evidence. Dogs age at varying rates depending on their size; smaller breeds tend to age slower while larger breeds usually age quicker. 

Myth 5: Dogs mouths’ are clean

Although many pet owners enjoy receiving licks from their dogs, it isn’t a very sanitary way of showing affection. Aside from their bad breath, dogs’ mouths are filled with various bacterias that come from dirty origins. It’s also common for dogs to develop dental disease or gum disease since many owners neglect teeth brushing as a routine. By frequently brushing your pets’ teeth or going in for dental cleanings, you can greatly reduce the risk of dental diseases and alleviate some of the germs plastered on your face.

Myth 6: Allergies come from dog and cat hairs

One of the most common pet myths is that allergies in humans are caused by cat and dog hairs. Many people report that pet fur/hair results in sneeze attacks and causes their eyes to water, but the allergen to blame is generally found in the animals’ skin, urine, and saliva.

Pets on St. Patrick’s Day

Pets on St. Patrick’s Day

Here are 6 Dangers to Pets on St. Patrick’s Day:

1. Shamrocks come in two different colors, green and purple! Whether found in the wild or decorations around the house, be cautious when your pets are around them. If ingested, they can cause stomach upset, drooling, a decrease in blood calcium level, and even kidney damage in large amounts.

2. Green beer or alcohol of any type at a party is even more dangerous to pets than to humans due to their smaller size. When pets ingest an unattended or spilled drink, they could have difficulties walking, have stomach upset, or even lead a decreased gag reflex which makes vomiting extra dangerous. 

3. When eating dessert, make sure you and your guests know that Irish soda bread can be dangerous for pets because of the raisins in them! Ingestion of raisins can lead to kidney failure, so instead feed your pets their dessert options.

4. Traditional food in Irish cuisine contains ingredients that may lead to detrimental side effects, so be cautious when keeping festive Irish food within your pet’s reach. Common dishes during the Irish holiday are corned beef and cabbage which are high in sodium and may result in sodium poisoning. Lots of festive food also contains onions, garlic, chives, and leeks, which may be toxic (in both powdered and fresh forms). Pets are very sensitive to high-fat foods and sugar, so make sure to double-check food ingredients if you’re planning on feeding some scraps to your pet.

5. It is not recommended to dye your pet’s fur green as it can lead to skin irritation and toxicity if ingested. If having a green furry friend on Saint Patrick’s Day is necessary, ensuring that the dye is temporary, vegan, and free of toxins will reduce potential hazards. It’s also important to avoid giving any human treats to your pet; especially ones that contain green commercial food dye that may cause allergic reactions or an upset stomach.

6. If your pet enjoys it, feel free to dress your pet in a green shamrock bow, a festive holiday bandanna, or other St. Patrick’s attire. On the other hand, it’s important to choose the correct size of clothing for your pet and ensure that their vision or movement is not impaired. It’s also best to pick an outfit that doesn’t have embellishments that may serve as a choking hazard; supervise them to make sure they are not experiencing any discomfort or anxiety from playing dress up.