Chocolates and some hard candies can be poisonous to pets. Keep your pets safe by keeping a watchful eye on your curious fur babies and keep candy contained and unreachable.
Your pet may keep begging for a bite of your Snickers or Twix, but when your dog or cat is near, it’s important to keep all types of candy out of reach. Of all the treats on Halloween, dark chocolate, baking chocolate, and even milk chocolate are the most harmful to your pet. Chocolates contain a particularly toxic ingredient known as methylxanthines, which includes theobromine and caffeine. These ingredients cause most dogs and cats to develop severe symptoms, and possibly acute kidney failure. Other trick-or-treat candies that are dangerous to dogs/cats are many hard candies, lollipops, and mints. Most of those candies include a toxic ingredient: xylitol, which is a common sugar substitute. Large amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia, liver failure, and even death in your animal. If your furry companion ever experiences any symptoms of poisoning, contact the Animal Poison Control Center right away.(more…)